STRANGE AND OBSCURE LAWS
(still on the books)
This is a list I compiled of obscure, strange, bizarre and sometimes
ridiculous laws still on the books.
There are many others, I just have
not had the time to do more research than this.
- It is illegal to play Dominos on Sunday.
- It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while
operating a vehicle.
- It is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in a church.
- Putting salt on a railroad track may be punishable by death.
- In Fairbanks, it is illegal to feed alcoholic beverages to a moose.
- You can't look at a moose from an airplane.
- It is illegal to a wake a bear for the purpose of photography, although it
is legal to shoot a sleeping bear.
- A law in Fairbanks, does not allow moose to have sex on city streets.
- In Tucson, it is illegal for women to wear pants.
- In Payson, it is illegal to tie your horse to a moving motor vehicle.
Tucson has an archaic (1923) ordinance on the books that makes it illegal to
say anything nice about Phoenix. The law has not been enforced since 1964
In Benson, it is illegal to sell a pencil to an undocumented immigrant.
Sedona, it is illegal to drive your wife’s car over a cliff between
Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- In Bisbee, it is illegal to operate a
lawnmower after midnight if you are sober.
In Phoenix, you can't walk through a hotel lobby with spurs on.
- In Globe, it is illegal to play cards in the street with a Native American.
- In Glendale, it is illegal to drive a car in reverse.
- In Hackberry, gargling is prohibited while flying.
- In Nogales, it is illegal to wear suspenders.
- In Fayetteville, it is illegal to kill any living creature, including
- The Arkansas legislature passed a law that states that the Arkansas River
can rise no higher than to the Main Street bridge in Little Rock
to Arkansas law, Section 4761, Pope's Digest: "No person shall be permitted
under any pretext whatever, to come nearer than fifty feet of any door or
window of any polling room, from the opening of the polls until the completion
of the count and the certification of the returns."
- In Little Rock, if a man and a woman flirt with each other in the streets,
they could be jailed for 30 days.
- It is against the law to mispronounce the name of the State of Arkansas in
- A man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month.
- It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle,
unless it's a whale.
- In Pacific Grove, molesting butterflies can result in a $500 fine.
- Starting January 1 1995, it is illegal in California to possess bear gall
- It is no longer permissible to trip horses for entertainment.
In Los Angeles courts it is illegal to cry on the witness stand.
Angeles law forbids hunting moths under a street light.
In Cupertino, it
is illegal to count backwards audibly in hexadecimal.
It is illegal to set
a mouse trap without a hunting license.
- Community leaders passed an ordinance that makes it illegal for anyone to try to stop a child from playfully jumping over puddles of water.
It is illegal to skateboard on walls "or other vertical surfaces" in Palo
- In San Diego, those who keep Christmas decorations on their houses
past February 2 are fined with $100.
- In Chico, detonating a nuclear weapon
within County boundaries is punishable with a $500 fine.
In Los Angeles,
It is prohibited for dogs to mate within a 500 meter radius of a church. Those
found braking this law are fined $500 and up to 6 months imprisonment.
1930, the City Council of Ontario (California) passed an ordinance forbidding
roosters to crow within the city limits.
- In Alamosa, launching missiles
against automobiles is illegal.
- In Palm Springs, It is prohibited to ride
a camel on Palm Canyon Drive, between 16:00 and 18:00.
- In Pasadena, it is illegal for a secretary to be alone in a room with her
- It is illegal to set a mousetrap without a hunting license.
- A law created in 1925 makes it illegal to wiggle while dancing.
- In Long Beach, it is illegal to curse on a mini-golf course.
- In San Francisco, there is an ordinance, which bans the picking up and throwing of used confetti.
- In San Francisco, it is illegal to wipe one's car with used underwear.
- It is illegal to cry on the witness stand in Los Angeles.
- It is illegal to eat oranges in a bathtub.
- The law states that more than 3000 sheep cannot be herded down Hollywood Blvd. at any one time.
- A woman is prohibited from driving a car while dressed in a housecoat.
- Due to the ambled name of "Texas Instrument," the TI-82,TI-83,TI-83+,TI-86,
and TI-89 were all banished from California. If caught with one, 4 weeks of
prison is assigned.
- In Ventura County, cats and dogs are not allowed to have sex without a
- In Durango, it is illegal to go out in public dressed in clothing
unbecoming to one's gender.
- A law passed in Denver says that the dog catcher must notify dogs of
impounding by posting, for three consecutive days, a notice on a tree in the
city park and along a public road running through said park.
- In Logan County, it is illegal for a man to kiss a woman while she is
- In Denver, it is unlawful to lend your vacuum cleaner to your next door
- A pet cat, if loose, must have a tail-light
In Fairplay, No
one - man, woman, or child - can be seen flying while barefoot.
- In Pueblo, it is illegal to let a dandelion grow within city limits.
- In Hartford, it is illegal to educate a dog.
- It is illegal to dispose of used razor blades.
- In Devon, it is unlawful to walk backwards after sunset.
Connecticut, it is illegal to kiss your wife on Sunday.
You can be stopped by the police for biking over 65 miles per hour.
- You are not allowed to walk across a street on your hands.
- It is against the law for a man to write love letters to a girl whose mother or father has forbidden the relationship.
- In New Britain, the speed limit for fire trucks in 25 mph, even when going
to a fire.
- In Lewes, it is illegal to wear pants that are form-fitting around the
- In Lowes Crossroads, it is a violation of local law for any pilot or
passenger to carry an ice cream cone in their pocket while either flying or
waiting to board a plane.
- In Lynch Heights, it is against the law to
sneeze in an airplane.
- It is illegal to fly over a body of water unless sufficient supplies of
food and water are on board.
- In Miami, it is illegal for a man to wear of any kind of strapless gown.
- In Pensacola, it is not permitted to be downtown while carrying less than
$10 in your pocket.
- Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as can the
- If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking
fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.
Unmarried women who parachute on Sundays may be jailed.
- Georgia law provides that it is a misdemeanor for any citizen to attend
church worship on Sunday unless he is equipped with a rifle and it is loaded.
- It is against the law to put livestock on a school bus.
- In Miami, it is forbidden to imitate an animal.
- In Sarasota, it is illegal to sing while wearing a bathing suit.
- All males in the state between the ages of 16 and 50 are required to work on
- In Columbus, it is illegal to sit on one's porch in an indecent position.
- It is a violation for a woman over 200 pounds and attired in shorts to
pilot or ride in an airplane in Pocataligo.
- A barber is not allowed to advertise prices in the State of Georgia.
- It is illegal to say "Oh, Boy" in Jonesboro.
- In Quitman, it is illegal for a chicken to cross the road.
- It is against the law to slap a man on the back or front.
- It's against the law to spread a false rumor.
- It is illegal to change the clothes on a storefront mannequin unless the
shades are down.
- It is illegal to appear in public wearing only swimming trunks.
- It is illegal to own a mongoose without a permit.
- There's an old law still on the
books that states that it is forbidden to laugh after 10pm.
- In Pocatello, the carrying of concealed weapons is forbidden, unless some are
exhibited to public view.
- In the
city of Coeur d' Alene, "if a police officer approaches a vehicle and suspects
that the occupants are engaging in sex, he must either honk, or flash his lights
and wait for three minutes before approaching the car."
- Also in the latter town, it is prohibited for pedestrians and motorists to
display frowns, grimaces, scowls, threatening and glowering looks, gloomy and
depressed facial appearances, generally all of which reflect unfavorably upon
the city's reputation.
- Boxes of candy given as romantic gifts must weigh more than 50 pounds.
- In Chicago, people who are diseased, maimed, mutilated, or deformed to the
point of being an unsightly or disgusting object are banned from going out in
- In Chicago, it is illegal to fish in pajamas.
In Chicago, you see, it
is illegal to eat in a burning building.
- It is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other
domesticated animals kept as pets.
- The law states that a car must be driven with the steering wheel.
- Also in Chicago, it is illegal to fish in pajamas.
- In Kirkland, law forbids bees to fly over the village or through any of its
- One more in Chicago, it is illegal to take a French poodle to the opera.
- It is illegal to speak English, the officially recognized language is
- A state law in Illinois mandates that all bachelors should be called master,
not mister, when addressed by their female counterparts.
- In Oblong, it's punishable by law to make love while hunting or fishing on
your wedding day.
- In Gurnee, it is illegal for women weighing more than 200 pounds to ride
horses in shorts.
- In Joliet, it is illegal to mispronounce the name Joliet.
- It is against the law for a monster to enter the corporate limits of
- Monkeys are forbidden to smoke cigarettes in South Bend.
- In Bicknell, It is against the law to eat ice cream in the local airport
with a fork.
- Bathing is prohibited during the winter.
- In Gary, it is illegal to attend the theater within four hours of eating
- It is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other
domesticated animals kept as pets.
- Citizens are not allowed to attend a
movie house or theater nor ride in a public streetcar within four hours after
- State law forbids any establishment from charging admission to see a
one-armed piano player.
- Kisses may last for as much as, but no more than, five minutes.
- In Fort Madison, fireman are required to practice for 15 minutes before going
to a fire.
- After lovemaking, men are NOT allowed to take more than three gulps of beer
while lying in bed with their wives-or holding them in his arms.
- It is illegal for restaurants to sell cherry pie a la mode on Sundays.
- In Wichita, it is illegal to carry a concealed bean snapper.
- You are not allowed to drive a buffalo through a street.
- It is illegal to eat snakes on Sunday.
The law prohibits shooting
rabbits from a motorboat.
- No one may catch fish with his bare hands in
- In Lang, it is illegal to ride a mule down Main Street in August, unless the
animal is wearing a straw hat.
- In Natoma, it is illegal to throw a knife at any one wearing a striped shirt.
It is illegal for a woman to appear in a bathing suit on a highway unless she
is a) escorted by at least two police officers, b) armed with a club, or c)
lighter than 90 pounds or more than 200 pounds.
- In Louisiana, a bill was introduced years ago in the State House of Representatives that fixed a ceiling on haircuts for bald men of 25 cents.
- Frankfort, Kentucky, makes it against the law to shoot off a policeman's
- No female shall appear in a bathing suit at any airport in this state
unless she is escorted by two officers or unless she is armed with a club. The
provisions of this statute shall not apply to females weighing less than 90
pounds nor exceeding 200 pounds, nor shall it apply to female horses.
An old statute in Kentucky states that men who push their wives out of bed for inflicting their cold toes on them can be fined or jailed for a week.
- It is illegal to transport an ice cream cone in your pocket.
anyone who has been drinking is "sober" until he or she "cannot hold onto the
- it is illegal for a merchant to force a person into his place of business for the purpose of making a sale.
- It is illegal to remarry the same man four times.
- It's the law that a person must take a bath once a year.
- State law stipulates that a person is considered sober until he or she
"cannot hold onto the ground".
- In New Orleans, fire trucks are required by law to stop at all red lights.
- It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water
- Biting someone with your natural teeth is "simple assault," while
biting someone with your false teeth is aggravated assault."
- It is considered simple assault to bite someone in New Orleans, but it is
aggravated assault if the biter has false teeth.
- It is against the law to gargle in public.
- In Portland, it is illegal for men to tickle women under the chin with
- The most money one can legally win gambling is three dollars.
- It Rumford, it is illegal for a tenant to bite his/her landlord.
- In Waterville, it is illegal to blow one's nose in public.
- No throwing bales of hay from a second-story window
illegal to take a lion to the movies.
- In Baltimore, it is illegal to wash or scrub sinks, no matter how dirty they
get. You may not curse inside the city limits.
- Every person who has bowled since 1833 may be fined $2 for each offence.
- In Hale Thorpe, it is illegal to kiss for more than one second.
- It's illegal to mistreat oysters.
- It is a violation of city code to sell chicks or ducklings to a minor
within one week of Easter
- You may not spit on any city sidewalks
person who is a "tramp" or "vagrant" shall loiter in any park at any time.
- It's illegal to play Randy Newman's "Short People" on the radio.
- In Salem, even married couples are forbidden from sleeping nude in the rented
- It is illegal to wear a goatee without a license.
- Mourners at a wake may not eat more than three sandwiches.
prohibited unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely locked.
It is against the law to put tomatoes in
- Dueling with water pistols is illegal.
- It is prohibited to carry a gorilla on the back seat of your car.
An old ordinance declares goatees illegal unless you first pay a special
license fee for the privilege of wearing one in public.
- In Boston, it is illegal for someone to take a bath unless ordered by a
- Taxi drivers are prohibited from making love in the front seat of their
taxi during their shifts.
- In 1659, Christmas was outlawed.
- A man legally owns his wife's hair.
- In Michigan, a woman isn't allowed to cut her own hair without her
- Married couples must live together or be imprisoned.
- It is against the law for a lady to lift her skirt more than 6 inches while walking through a mud puddle.
- In Detroit, it is illegal to ogle a woman from a moving car.
- In Detroit, couples are banned from making love in an automobile unless the
act takes place while the vehicle is parked on the couple's own property
Roosters may crow, only if it is done at least 300 feet from the airport in
- In Rochester, the law is that anyone bathing in public must have the bathing
suit inspected by a police officer !
- In Port Huron, the speed limit for ambulances is 20 mph.
- Under state law, dentists are officially classified as mechanics.
- In Clawson, it is legal for a farmer to "sleep with his pigs, cows, horses,
goats, and chickens".
- Women may face up to 30 days in jail if they impersonate Santa Claus.
- In Minneapolis, double parkers can be put on a chain gang.
- In Clearbrook, people cannot play checkers at the airport, "Lest they
acquire a taste for gambling"
- It illegal to hang male and female underwear on the same washing line.
- Every man in Brainerd is required by lay to grow a beard.
- It's illegal to tease skunks.
- It is still legal to kill one's servant.
- In Truro, a would-be groom must prove himself manly prior to marriage by
hunting and killing 6 blackbirds or 3 cows.
- In Alexandria, no man is allowed to make love to his wife with the smell of
garlic, onions, or sardines on his breath. If his wife so requests, law mandates
that he must brush his teeth.
- No turtle races shall be held at the airport in Bourbon.
no pilot can eat unshelled roasted peanuts or watermelon while flying.
- In Saco, women are forbidden from wearing hats that might frighten timid
persons, children, or animals.
- In St. Louis, it is illegal for an on-duty firefighter to rescue a woman
wearing a nightgown. In order to be rescued, a woman must be fully dressed.
- In St. Louis, it's illegal to sit on the curb of any city street and drink
beer from a bucket.
- A man must have a permit to shave.
- While children may purchase shotguns in Kansas City, they are not allowed to
buy toy cap guns.
- In Merryville, women are prohibited from wearing corsets because "The
privilege of admiring the curvaceous, unencumbered body of a young woman should
not be denied to the normal, red-blooded American male".
- It is a felony for a wife to open her husbands mail.
- It is a misdemeanor to show movies that depict acts of felonious crime.
- It Whitehall, it is illegal to operate a vehicle with ice picks attached to
- It is illegal for a mother to give her daughter a perm without a state
- In Waterloo, barbers are forbidden from eating onions between 7am and 7pm.
- In Omaha, barbers are forbidden form shaving their customers chests.
- The owner of every hotel in Hastings, is required by law to provide each
guest with a clean and pressed nightshirt.
- If I child burps during a church service, their parents may be arrested.
- It is illegal for bar owners to sell beer unless they are simultaneously
brewing a kettle of soup.
- It Nyala, a man is forbidden from buying drinks for more than three people.
- In Eureka, men are forbidden from kissing women.
- Everyone walking on the streets of Elko is required to wear a mask.
- In Eureka, men who wear moustaches are forbidden from kissing women.
- It is illegal to sell the clothes one is wearing to pay off a gambling debt.
- It is illegal to check into a hotel with an assumed name.
- The law forbids you to tap your feet, nod your head, or in any way keep
time to the music in a tavern, restaurant, or cafe.
- It is against the law to frown at a police officer.
- Cabbage can't be sold on Sunday.
- In Newark, it is illegal to sell ice cream after 6pm, unless the customer has
a note from his/her doctor.
- It is illegal to slurp soup.
- In Trenton, it is illegal to throw a bad pickle in the street.
- In Raton, it is illegal for a woman to ride horseback down a public street
with a kimono on.
- The Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary is banned in Carlsbad.
- Females are strictly forbidden to appear unshaven in public.
Carrizozo, it's forbidden for a female to appear unshaven in public (includes
legs and face)
- State officials ordered 400 words of "sexually explicit material" to be cut
from Romeo and Juliet.
- In White Horse, No one can play cards on the airport grounds with a woman,
a child, or an Indian.
- In New York City, it is illegal for a woman to be on the street wearing "body
- The New York City Transit Authority has ruled that women can ride the city
subways topless. New York law dictates that if a man can be somewhere without a
shirt, a woman gets the same right. The decision came after arrests of women
testing the ordinance on the subways. A transit police spokesman said they would
comply with the new rule, but "if they were violating any other rules, like
sitting on a subway bench topless smoking a cigarette, then we would take
action." Smoking is not allowed in the subways.
- In New York City, it is illegal for a man to ogle a lady. The accused are
forced to wear horse-blinders.
- A fine of $25 can be levied for flirting. This old law specifically
prohibits men from turning around on any city street and looking "at a woman in
that way." A second conviction for a crime of this magnitude calls for the
violating male to be forced to wear a "pair of horse-blinders" wherever and
whenever he goes outside for a stroll.
- It is against the law for a blind person to drive an automobile.
- Jumping off a building, carries the death penalty.
In Greene, it is
illegal to eat peanuts and walk backwards on the sidewalks when a concert is
- In Carmel, a man can't go outside while wearing a jacket and pants
that do not match.
- While using the elevator, one should keep their hands
folded before them and keep their eyes on the door.
it is against the law for children to pick up or collect cigarette and cigar butts.
- Also in New York City, it is disorderly conduct for one man to greet another
on the street by placing the end of his thumb against the tip of his nose, at
the same time extending and wiggling the fingers of his hand.
- In Charlotte, women must have their bodies covered by 16 yards of cloth at all time.
- It is against the law for a rabbit to race down the street.
- In Ashville, it is illegal to sneeze on city streets.
- It is against the law for dogs and cats to fight.
- In Fargo, one may be jailed for wearing a hat while dancing, or even for
wearing a hat to a party where dancing is taking place.
- It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep with your shoes on.
- It is still legal to shoot Indians if your in a covered wagon.
- It is illegal to serve beer and pretzels at the same time in any bar, club,
- In Cleveland, women are forbidden from wearing patent leather shoes, for men
can see the reflection of their underwear.
- In Columbus, it is illegal for stores to sell Cornflakes on Sunday.
- In Cleveland, it is unlawful to leave chewing gum in public places.
- One must have a license to keep a bear.
- In West Union, No married man can go flying without his spouse along at any
time, unless he has been married for more than 12 months.
In Paulding, a
policeman may bite a dog to quiet him.
- In Cleveland, it is illegal to
catch mice without a hunting license.
- It Oxford, it is illegal for a women to undress in front of a man's picture.
- In Youngstown, it is illegal to run out of gas.
- In Bexley, Ordinance number 223, of 09/09/19 prohibits the installation and
usage of slot machines in outhouses.
- Catch-22 is banned in Strongsville.
- People who make ugly faces at dogs may be fined and/or jailed.
- In Tulsa, Oklahoma, it is against the law to open a soda bottle without the
supervision of a licensed engineer.
- Dogs must have a permit signed by the mayor in order to congregate in
groups of three or more on private property.
- No baseball team can hit the ball over the fence or out of a ballpark.
- Harthahorne (Oklahoma) City Ordinance, Section 363, states that it shall be
unlawful to put any hypnotized person in a display window.
In Guyman, no
flyer may wear a pair of pants with hip pockets while flying
legally carry an exposed weapon unless you are being chased by an Indian.
Females are forbidden from doing their own hair without being licensed by
- In Schuster, it is illegal for a woman to gamble while wearing a towel.
- One may not bathe without wearing "suitable clothing," i.e., clothing that
covers one's body from neck to knee.
- In Hood River, it is illegal to juggle without a license.
- A 100-year-old law in Willowdale, makes it illegal to swear during sex.
- In Marion county, ministers are forbidden from eating onions or garlic before
giving a sermon.
- As of January 1, 2000 all 5 bedroom homes will be evacuated and searched by
police for drug substances every 2 months.
- If caught in possession of Marijuana during the month of February, you will
be assigned to two thousand hours of community service.
- It is illegal to be seen in public with the number 69 on an article of
- Any motorist who sights a team of horses coming toward him must pull well off
the road, cover his car with a blanket or canvas that blends with the
countryside, and let the horses pass. If the horses appear to be skittish, the
motorist must take his car apart piece by piece, and hide it under the nearest
- A special cleaning ordinance bans homemakers from hiding dirt and dust
under a rug in a dwelling.
- In Morrisville, women need a permit to wear cosmetics.
- Juggling in front of an airplane is illegal in Wellsboro
It is illegal
to discharge a gun, cannon, revolver or other explosive weapon at a wedding.
No man may purchase alcohol without written consent from his wife.
- In Philadelphia, you can't put pretzels in bags based on an Act of 1760.
- In Columbia, it is against the law for a pilot to tickle a female flying
student under her chin with a feather duster in order to get her attention
special cleaning ordinance bans housewives from hiding dirt and dust under a
rug in a dwelling.
- Ministers are forbidden from performing marriages when either the bride or
the groom is drunk.
- In Providence, it is illegal to sell toothpaste and a toothbrush to the same
customer on a Sunday.
- In Providence, it is against the law to jump off a bridge.
- It is illegal to throw pickle juice on a trolley.
- In Newport, it is illegal to smoke a pipe after sundown.
marriage where either of the parties is an idiot or lunatic, is null and void."
Section 11-40-1 of Rhode Island's state code
- Every citizen is obliged to carry his gun to church.
- No horses are allowed into Fountain Inn unless they are wearing pants.
- In Charleston, all carriage horses must wear diapers.
- It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep in a cheese factory.
- Movies that show police officers being struck, beaten or treated in an
offensive manner are forbidden.
- In Tennessee, it is illegal to shoot any game other than whales from a
- It is illegal to use a lasso to catch fish.
- It is against the law to drive a car while sleeping.
- In Dyersburg, it is illegal for a woman to call a man for a date.
- a law exists which prohibits the sale of bologna (sandwich meat) on Sunday.
- In Memphis restaurants, it is illegal to give any pie to fellow diners, it's
illegal to take unfinished pie home and all pie must be eaten on the premises.
- In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is
walking or running in front of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn
approaching pedestrians and motorists.
- It is illegal for children to have unusual haircuts.
- In Corpus Christie, Texas, it is illegal to raise alligators in your home.
- it's against the law for anyone to have a pair of pliers in his or her
- A recently passed anti-crime laws requires criminals to give their victims 24
hours notice, either orally or in writing, and explain to the nature of the
crime about to be committed.
- In Galveston, Texas, it is illegal to have a camel run loose in the street.
- It is illegal to milk another person's cow.
- In Borger, it is against the law to throw confetti, rubber balls, feather
dusters, whips or quirts (riding crop), and explosive firecrackers of any kind.
It is still a "hanging offense" to steal cattle.
In Clarendon, it is illegal to dust any public building with a feather
- In El Paso, churches, hotels, halls of assembly, stores, markets, banking
rooms, railroad depots, and saloons are required to have spittoons on hand.
- A city ordinance states that a person cannot go barefoot without first
obtaining a special five-dollar permit.
- In Houston, it is illegal to sell Limburger cheese on Sunday.
- It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while
- The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a
formula for making beer at home.
- In Texas, two categories of men are exempt from peeping tom charges: men over 50 and men with only one eye.
- Birds have the right of way on all highways.
- It is against the law to fish from horseback in Utah.
Daylight must be visible between dancing couples.
- A husband is responsible for every criminal act committed by his wife while
she is in his presence.
- Women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.
- Lawmakers made it obligatory for everybody to take at least one bath each
week - on Saturday night.
- It is illegal to deny the existence of God.
- It is illegal to whistle underwater.
- It is illegal, even if married, to engage in sex
with the lights on.
- In Richmond, it is illegal to flip a coin in any eating establishment to
determine who buys a cup of coffee.
- It is illegal for a man to kick his wife out of bed.
- Code 18.2 344 states, "Any person, not being
married, who voluntarily shall have sexual intercourse with any other person,
shall be guilty of fornication, punishable as a Class 4 misdemeanor."
chickens cannot lay eggs before 8:00 a.m., and must be done before 4:00 p.m.
- It is illegal for a man to pat his wife's derriere.
- No person is allowed to read the Sunday paper while sitting in a chair at
the airport while church services are going on in Upperville.
- There is a state law prohibiting "corrupt practices or bribery by any person
other than candidates".
- It's illegal in Wilbur, Washington, to ride an ugly horse.
In Seattle, women who sit on men's laps on buses or trains without placing a
pillow between them face an automatic 6 months in jail.
- Citizens cannot carry a slingshot on an airplane without special permission
All lollipops are banned.
There is/was a law on the books in Washington state that stated that a
motorcar driven at night must be preceded by something like 100 yards by a man
carrying a lantern
- A law to reduce crime states: "It is
mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits
and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town.
In Seattle, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon longer than 6 feet.
- It is illegal to pretend one's parents are rich.
- In the state of Washington there is a law against having sex with a virgin
under any circumstances. (Including the wedding night.)
- In Nicholas County, no clergy members may tell jokes or humorous stories from
the pulpit during church services.
- Only babies can ride in a baby carriage.
- No children may attend school with their breath smelling of "wild onions."
One can't cook sauerkraut or cabbage due to the odors and the offence is subject to imprisonment.
- It is illegal to snooze on a train.
- In St. Croix, women are not allowed to wear anything red in public.
- It is illegal to cut a women's hair.
- It is illegal to kiss on a train.
- In Racine, WS., it is illegal to wake a fireman when he is asleep.
- Cheese making requires a license. Limburger cheese making requires a master
- It is illegal to wear a hat that obstructs peoples' view in a public theater
or place of amusement.
- No flying instructor "can place his arm around a
woman without a good and lawful reason" (while flying).
It is illegal for a women to stand within five feet of a bar while drinking..